The OFW ID Card or iDOLE Card is one of the newest type of identification cards given to the Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). It contains the OFW Number, Country of Employment, Employer and several essential information of the card holder.
One of the most useful purposes of the OFW ID Card is to serve as a replacement of the former type of identification of an OFW which is the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC). It is a document that proves the holder is a bona fide Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW).
The government sought the hassle of getting this certificate since workers cannot fly back to the country of employment if he/she has no OEC. So this means every OFW have to go to the nearest POEA Office in the Philippines, wait on the long line and pay for the distinguished fee to get the certificate.
Wouldn’t it be favorable to have the OFW ID Card or iDOLE Card which has the same purpose as of the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) that fits in your wallet? Well not just that, arrangements are being expedited to make the card serves as the migrant worker’s SSS, Pag-IBIG Fund and PhilHealth ID. Furthermore, the possibility of making it as a designated passport for OFWs.
OFW ID Card Requirements
- 2 or more valid IDs
- Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) *optional
How to Get OFW ID Card
- Go to the nearest DOLE Office in your region or to the main office of DOLE. List of DOLE Regional Offices.
- Approach the person-in-charge and that you want to apply for OFW ID Card or iDOLE Card. You may be asked to show your valid ID’s and if necessary, show also your OEC.
- Your name will then be verified in the list of bona fide OFWs from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).
- When the verification is successful, your ID Card will be printed and ready to be claimed.
If you are currently working abroad, you can contact the Philippine Embassy or Consulate in the country of your employment and ask for the process on how to get your OFW ID Card.
This new card is very ideal which was launched on July 12, 2017. However, it gained a lot both positive and negative feedback.
Some agreed that it is indeed the best gift of the President to the OFWs but others say it is just another burden for them. What is your opinion about the OFW ID Card?
Do you know someone abroad? Share this with him/her to be aware of this new card.